Thursday, September 7, 2017

Recovery Life by: Brenda Perkins


Brenda Perkins
Recovery Story



I am an addict and my name is Brenda. 

I am a person in long term recovery from a substance use disorder.  What that means for me is that I have not found it necessary to use any mood altering substance since January 17, 2002.  This is part of my story.



I was married when I came into recovery.  My husband was injured in a car accident in our first year of marriage and fractured a vertebrae in his neck and was instantly paralyzed from the chest down.  At that  time we were both 26 years old and had just had our first child, needless to say this was a lot to cope with for a new family.



I coped as best I could taking care of him, the baby, the house, my job and anything else that came my way.  I was taking care of everything and everybody and lost myself in the process 



My addiction began when I started taking pain medication prescribed by a physician for physical symptoms related to the high stress caused by the immense emotional strain that life circumstances brought my way.  I quickly realized that these medications helped more than just the pain I was experiencing, they became an escape from my reality.  Over time I began taking more and more of these medications and eventually became physically addicted. Once my physician realized I was abusing my medication she stopped prescribing the medication and that is when the real trouble began.



In addition to being a wife, mother, daughter and friend, I am also a medical professional.  I worked for a surgical office and had access to medications and prescription pads.  I began to steal pain medication and when that was not available I would write my own prescriptions and fill them at the pharmacy.  My addiction grew and grew and eventually I was juggling five pharmacies and taking upwards of 500 pills a month!  I had $45,000.00 in credit card debt, had quit my job, and was completely miserable!  I thought the only way out was suicide so I attempted this in September of 2001.  Clearly this was unsuccessful.  I ended up in a mental institution.  I was unable to be honest about my addiction at that time due to my fear of being arrested for prescription fraud.  I was released 4 days later and immediately went back to using.



My saving grace came in January 2002 by way of a phone call from the Virginia Board of Nursing, inquiring about some prescriptions that were falsified.  I was caught!  I was scared and felt alone.  I told no one, and went to meet the investigator on my own.  I put a couple of phone numbers in my back pocket and went into the meeting and admitted to the investigator that I was addicted and that I had done what he was accusing me of.  I cried like a baby, but at the same time felt some sense of relief.  This was the first time that I had admitted out loud to anyone that I was an addict. 



This situation did not turn out like I had imagined it would!  I thought I would go straight to Jail.  Instead he took me to a woman’s office.  She got up, hugged me and told me everything was going to be ok.  The Board of Nursing had a program for people like me and that she could help me!  She made some calls and enrolled me in an intensive outpatient program that day! I was signed up for the Health Practitioners Intervention Program.  It is a five- year monitoring period with the Board of Nursing.  I would be drug tested, have meeting requirements, fill out reports and tell all of my physicians and employers that I was in the program. 



I entered the IOP program the next day was placed on a methadone detox program and that’s where my recovery journey began!  I was off the methadone in 5 weeks, attending IOP groups 3 days a week and was introduced to the 12 step fellowship of my choosing.  I was finally free of the addiction that was controlling my life!  I completed the Intervention program in 2007 and I was able to keep my nursing license!  I was so imbedded in my recovery when the accountability of the program  ended,  that I didn’t even miss it.  I had a sponsor, a home group a support network of women in my life that loved and cared about me and I was helping and sponsoring women myself!



In September of 2015 I was given the opportunity to work at the McShin Foundation, a recovery community organization in the Richmond area.  I am with addicts new to recovery every day  It is a daily reminder of how bad addiction is.  I am able to give people hope that there is a better way to live, and I am grateful for that.