Friday, September 15, 2017

Awesome Post by Rachel M. Check it out!


Rachel M Blog

My name is Rachel and I am a woman in recovery. I have been free of any mind-altering substances for almost nine months. Ridding myself of drugs and alcohol was just the beginning. See heroin does not commit any crimes, crack doesn’t force me to hustle on the street and, alcohol does not demand I drink the whole bottle.  I did those things because I was physically dependent on the drugs and mentally obsessed with the next one. What was it though that let me to use them in the first place?

I have a disease. This disease I suffer from is something I believe I have had since birth and something I will have for the rest of my life. My disease tells me that I am not a good person, it tells me that I am not pretty enough, thin enough or smart enough. It tells me to be quiet because I have nothing to bring to the table. It tells me don’t even bother trying because you will fail at it anyway. It makes me run from opportunities out of fear. I am naturally afraid of everything. When I was a child I was afraid my classmates wouldn’t like me because I didn’t even like me. I hated myself, I hated my clothes, I hated my hair, my grades, my voice and, I hated the way people would look at me in the eye when they talked to me because I felt like they were judging me and hating me too.

When I was 15 I found alcohol. A few big gulps of a warm Colt 45 and that warm, fuzzy, glowing feeling I got as it made its way through my blood stream was all it took. I drank alcoholically since that day. I didn’t turn any substance away no matter the consequences. I experienced loss of jobs, loss of education, loss of family, loss of homes, loss of self-respect, loss of morals, loss of many of my firsts. I lost myself before I even knew who I was. After over 15 years of just a miserable existence mixed with a few months here and there of what I thought was normalcy, I found my pathway to recovery.

 I work a 12-step program to the best of my ability. I am human so I by no means do that perfectly but I do the best that I am able. I have a network of strong women with multiple years clean that I turn to on a daily basis. I have a Higher Power that I talk to periodically throughout the day. When life gets too much for my human body to handle I turn it over to Him to take care of. I remind myself that I am worth fighting for, I am smart, I am beautiful, I am funny, I am lovable, I am employable, I can reach my potential so long as I do the next right thing for the next right reason.
               There is a solution to the disease I have. For me that means I will have to work a program of recovery for the rest of my life. Some days are easier than others but my worse day clean is better than any day out there using. 9 months ago, I so desperately just wanted to be happy. I wanted so badly to wake up withouot having to obsess about how I was going to get my drugs. I just wanted to be able to laugh. I just didn’t think would ever be possible. Now the possibilities are endless and with almost 9 months clean I am just getting started.