Friday, September 8, 2017

A Shot of Hope by: Erin Mayberry


My name is Erin Mayberry, Director of Female Programs with McShin Foundation and a woman in long term recovery from substance use disorder.  What that means to me is that I have not found it necessary to use a drug or other substitute since November 10, 2014.  Today, I am a better mother, daughter, friend and partner than I have ever been.  I am growing into a woman that loves and appreciates herself and those around her who consistently help me in my desire to grow and become a better person.

Here is a little peak into what is going on in my life at the moment.  Not necessarily the work related stuff, the me stuff.  The uncomfortable stuff. The stuff I don’t always want to talk about and would rather hide from than work on or address.  EXPECTATIONS. That’s where I am at today.  Before I start, let me say my higher power has a sense of humor and I always seem to be the last one to the party!

My focus in the last few weeks has been on taking it easy on my friends, colleagues and loved ones. Oh, and myself…that’s very very important!  My gratitude and ability to practice some acceptance and patience was wavering.  In a very short time, like less than twelve hours, myself and many of my friends had buried a dear friend and watched two very close friends go back out to use, one of which culminated in an extended hospital stay due to overdose.

I was hurting, as were my friends.  Out of pain, some things were said both by myself and other individuals that were hurtful and wrong.  Even though I myself did not respond in a way I would have liked to, I EXPECTED that because some had lived a lifestyle of recovery longer than I had, they would not react as I had.  What a crock of crap.  I’m human just as they are.   I feel just like they do.  By working on myself, I have learned that I am capable of causing great harm to myself and others with my words and actions.  Even with this knowledge I still act out.  Why would I expect any less of others regardless of their personal journey?  If I make mistakes and have trouble controlling the words I am speaking, why should I not expect the same from others?  And even though I just typed the words, why do I forget that we are all human beings and that none of us are perfect?

Solutions, today I prefer to be in solutions.  I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes it takes me a minute to disengage my ego and get uncomfortable enough to even start that process, but as a general rule, sitting in misery is not as appealing as it used to be!  If I take a good honest look at what is happening around me, I can assure you I have a part to play in whatever it is that is making me uncomfortable.  That is up to me to change and no one else.  A woman I look up to tells me often, “Acceptance solves 99% of your problems.” I like to add, “Communication solves the rest.”

Here is what I have learned.  People aren’t puppets and I cannot force anyone to act as I would have them act.  I myself am not a puppet and I am going to make mistakes.  I am an imperfect person living with an entire world filled with other imperfect people.  My growth starts with my willingness to change and remain teachable as well as with my ability to admit when I am wrong and take responsibility for my own actions.  When I am kinder to myself, I can be kinder to you.  When I am accepting of myself, I can be more accepting of you.  It’s really pretty simple…it’s that application piece that gets me sometimes!

Thanks for listening to me ramble, I’m going to get back to work…and in case you were wondering…much of what I have alluded to in this blog has been “righted.” However, if I am being honest, there are still a few people out there that I need to sit down with.  Thank you guys for the opportunity to gain a little accountability on the matter.  I’ll let you know how it progresses next time!